Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bubbas Update

I know many of you have been worried about Bubbas and so I thought I would give a quick update. Bears, Josh and I are doing well and fully well from the flu. Bubbas is still not 100% or close to it and it has been 11 days. He is still throwing up, but I don't believe it is from the flu anymore. He has kept his food down for many days now and has had many meals of yogurt. However, now if you give him anything with slight chunk in it he tries to swallow it and then gags himself causing hiimself to throw everything up. About the only thing he will even eat and keep down right now is milk from his bottle. That really makes me think it is not flu related. If he was throwing up because he was ill, that milk would come up.

What I think is happening, and I hope I am wrong and it is still the flu, is that he has gotten a negative response from all the throwing up. This happens sometimes (especially kids with sensory issues like he has) where they get a bad association with eating and then throwing up or spitting up, which hurts, and then they don't want to eat anymore. The problem here is that he is skin and bones right now from the flu and I am having a terrible time getting some fat on him. I really am thinking of giving him some heavy whipping cream in his bottle! The other problem is, if milk is the only thing he is eating, he is missing out on a whole bunch of nutrients that are found in food. I am going to start putting some Carnation Instant Breakfast in his milk tomorrow AM (reccomended by the Gastrointerologist-gas-tro-in-ter-ol-ogist) and see how he does with that. If he is still not eating by Monday, will give a quick call to the doctor.

Little booger is hungry, but just can't eat. So frustraing for him and for us as parents watching this all go down. On an up note, he had his chair delivered and he is loving it! I am loving it too. Now I can wheel him around with me to show him all sorts of things he missed out on before because I can make the chair go high and low. This morning while I was making breakfast I pushed him up high and he watched me cook. He was absolutely fascinated and really loved the smell of onions! He would laugh when I brought it close to his nose :). Anyway, as therapy goes, they all tell you to talk about what you are doing while you are doing it eventhough it may seem ridiculous. I am pretty good at doing this, but it was even better now because as I am cooking I can really get him to see what it is I am doing and talking to him about.

Here is to baby oatmeal staying down tomorrow! I am really getting tired of washing towels with throw up on them!

1 comment:

Pink Petunia Designs said...

Hey Mama, Hang in there. You are doing a fantastic job. I know sometimes that flu can actually last up to three weeks. Scout just went through a stage of no eating because she felt like she was choking and she would spit everything out. She didn't eat anything except her soy milk for a few weeks I finally took her in and then magically it cleared up. So hope it goes away quickly. Thank goodness for washing machines! Hang in there.

Blog Archive