Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Food Recipe

My new mission right now is to make power foods for Bubbas to see what comes of it all. He has been at a little bit of a standstill lately so automatically my brain starts to reel in different ideas on how to make some progress happen. This time I feel it is time to try some different foods. Bubbas loves food as long as he doesn't have to touch it or put it in his mouth himself. It also needs to be mashed and soft so as he can swallow it whole because he cannot chew yet. So, this makes it difficult during meal times because he needs to eat something entirely different if the food we are eating is not mashable or I have to get creative on different ways to mash foods without them loosing their appeal to him.

So, my newest mission is to find superfoods (my hope that the brain food will help with some neurological development) and make food up in batches, freeze it and have it ready to go for him. When I visited the Therkelsen's and saw all the great things they were feeding James (8 months) I was inspired to do this as well. While it is not hard, it does take some planning and forethought.

I know many of you reading this have little ones who are eating this sort of thing or maybe even more advanced, but in any case, I thought I would share some successful recipes when I come across them in case you wanted to try them. Takes the thought out and makes it simple to just do. The versions I put on here will obviously be all mashed, but the great thing about these is that you can adjust them to meet any level of solid foods.

I fed Bubbas his first homecooked baby food meal today in a long time (I did this awhile ago, but got overwhelmed by everything else going on with him and food got put on the backburner) and let me tell you...he was excited! He loved this stuff! It made me feel so good to have fed him something so nutritious and healthy. I also got some meat in him which has been extremely hard to do without feeding him some sort of canned meal with meat in it, because canned meat is easily mashed. Overall, I am very excited about this and hope it helps some of you mommies out there :). This one I dedicate to James.

Blueberry Yogurt w/ Banana and Wheat Germ
1 Brown Cow Plain Yogurt
1 Banana, mashed
1/4 cup blueberry puree (boil or microwave some frozen blueberries for a few seconds, run it through a food mill or blender, or mash it with a fork)
1 Tbls or more of Wheat Germ

Mix together in a bowl. I was able to get 2 servings out of this. Just put the rest in the refrigerator for tomorrow morning.

Both blueberries and wheat germ could be considered super foods.

Beef Stew
1 cup cooked ground beef
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 celery, chopped fine
1 potato, peeled and chopped fine

Cook the ground beef with some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Set aside. Get a pot of water boiling and add the vegetables. Boil until tender. Do NOT discard water after vegetables are done, use this to puree with or mash. Mix all together and puree, mash or serve as is. You could even add some macaroni noodles if desired.

Let you know when I have more successes!

2 comments:

Pink Petunia Designs said...

This is so awesome. I have been thinking of the "whole foods" concept recently and this is exactly what I want to be doing is fixing more foods ahead that have better nutritional value. You are the best. Keep goin with it. I know Bubbas will really appreciate it. I am all over the stew recipe. Scout is going to love it!

BigJamesB said...

James would like to give props to his main man Bubbas, thanks for the shout out. Beware the broccoli my friend, it is the devil I tell you. The devil.

Mom's trying more weird stuff on me now, beets, rhubarb with apples, and *gag* zucchini. This can't be good.

(You go Nim!)

Blog Archive